Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Side Note: Audiobook Format

I wanted to take a moment to tell about my experience with audiobook format. Our professor encouraged us to use audio format for one of our historical fiction novels. Before going into the assignment, I really imagined I would enjoy the audiobook experience, as I had enjoyed audio-poetry earlier in the semester. When I was a child, I really enjoyed hearing story books on record and on tape while reading along with the speaker.

Elijah of Buxton was my choice for historical fiction. I checked out the audiobook and the physical book from my local library. Before starting the audiobook I did read the first chapter in the actual book (I couldn't help myself!). I sat down one evening to listen to the first few chapters of Elijah of Buxton. The first ten minutes were okay, but I quickly lost track of what was happening in the story and who was speaking. After the first 3 chapters, I was completely confused. So confused that I tried again from the beginning. The audio format still didn't click, so I started another book.

I felt that the audiobook turned me off from even the physical book because I was so confused by it. I wanted to document my experience on my book review blog. Audiobooks can be a great tool, but for me they may not be the best choice when reading an entire novel. I think I enjoyed poetry and storybooks but not the novel because of the difference in length and perhaps rhythm.

No comments:

Post a Comment